Shrimp is a quite healthy food with impressive nutrition profile. It is quite low in calories and high in protein, which makes it perfect for people who want to lose weight. It only provides 84 calories in a 85-gram shrimp without any carbons. Besides, it contains over 20 different vitamins and minerals. It can provide 50% of daily needs for selenium which is a important mineral to reduce risk of heart disease and reduce inflammation. Although shrimp is high in cholesterol, it is a good source of antioxidants and omega-3 fatty acids, which benefit a lot for health.
There are many ways to cook shrimps, and this recipe is about how to grill shrimp with lemon and garlic. And you can find some useful tips that you are more likely to grill shrimps successfully, such as air drying the shrimps before grilling, sprinkling some baking soda and snuggling on the skewers before threading shrimps to skewers, etc. Now, let’s follow the recipe to have a start.
3 pounds shrimps, 60~75 shrimps in total
2/3 tsp. baking soda
1 1/3 tsp. sugar
1 1/3 tbsp. Salt
1 1/3 tbsp. Zest and 5 tsp. Juice from lemon
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
2 1/2 tbsp. Fresh parsley leaves
5 medium cloves garlic
Kosher freshly ground black pepper
Baking try; 10 skewers; a small bowl, a medium bowl and a large bowl; copper grill mat; long-handled tongs;
1. Clean the shrimps, peel the shell and devein. And finely chop the fresh parsley leaves，mince the garlic and divide. If use bamboo or wood skewers, soak them in water for overnight in case of burnt.
2. Mix baking soda, salt and sugar in a medium bowl and stir evenly. Add shrimps and toss to coat.
3. In order to make shrimps nestled snugly together, it is suggested threading the shrimp onto a set of two skewers and alternate heads to tails to thread. Normally, you can thread 6~7 shrimps on each set of skewers. Therefore, you have 10 skewers. Lay skewers across the top pf a baking try to avoid touching the bottom of the tray. Then put into refrigerator for an hour.
4. Mix half of the garlic and olive oil on a small bowl. Mix the rest of the garlic, olive oil, lemon zest and juice, and parsley in a large bowl and stir evenly as marination.
5. Preheat the grill over medium high heat and place a copper grill mat on the grate to prevent from sticking and tearing up.
copper grill mat
6. Take out the shrimp skewers, brush with garlic and oil mixture.
7. It takes about 5~6 minutes for shrimps to cook through and char in gold surface. Flip with long-handled tongs occasionally to make sure both sides get grilled.
8. When grilled well, transfer to a cutting board. Use a fork to carefully slide the shrimp off the skewers. Then transfer to the bowl with marination. Toss to coat thoroughly and evenly.
9. Sever with kosher salt and pepper when they are still hot.