Strip steak is quite popular in American. Especially, strip steak is used for grilling. Kansas City strip steak is the favorite of budget conscious grill masters as Kansas City strip steaks are common and welcomed by Americans.
Then what is strip steak? A strip steak is cut from the short lion of the cow. As this muscle doesn’t do so much exercise, it is quite tender. Though it is less tender than nearby tenderloin, it is boneless and full of beef flavor. The best strip steaks are those well-marbled with nice white fat weaving through the muscle of the steak.
The flavor of grilled KC strip steak is very delicious if you can make marinade that combines spice rub with herb, it will be a large amount of flavor. Then you can follow below instructions step by step to start grilling KC strip steak.
2 KC strip steaks, 1’’ thick, 8 ounce weight each
3 tablespoons coarse sea salt
3 tablespoons fresh cracked pepper
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 cup herbs de Provence spice mix
1~2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes(based on how much spicy you prefer)
2 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoon soy sauce
4 garlic cloves, crushed and minced
1. Add coarse sea salt, cracked pepper, brown sugar, herbs de Provence spic mix, crushed red pepper flakes, soy sauce, olive oil, crushed and minced garlic into a bowl. Stir evenly and make them form a paste.
2. Apply and rub the paste to coat each steak evenly.
3. Seal the marinated strip steaks in a polythene bag.
4. Transfer the sealed bag into refrigerator and store for at least 8 hours. Overnight will be better to help seasoning.
5. Remove from refrigerator and unwrap.
6. Rest the steaks at room temperature for about 1 hour.
7. At the same time. Preheat your grill at medium high heat. And put a copper grill mat on the grate to prevent from sticking and keep your grill clean. Copper grill mat is made of Teflon, which can resist 260 degree Celsius heat and prevent from flares up.
8. Grill each side for about 5 minutes. And insert an infrared thermometer to check. When it reaches 125 degrees, continue to grill another 1-2 minutes till it reaches 135 degrees. The strip steaks are medium well.
9. Remove from the grill and allow it to chill for about 5 minutes, which allow the juices to be fully absorbed by the meat. And you can enjoy juicer and tender steak.
10. Slice the steak into thin slice and serve when it is still warm.
When you eat up, just put the chilled copper grill mat to the sink. Brush with some soapy water, and you can easily clean the copper grill mat. Rinse and dry it. It can be used for next time. And your grill grate is quite clean.